Saturday 15 March 2014

Get Far to get Closer

Life has its own ways to say things. But we don’t realize what it is trying to convey. When something ends, we believe it’s the end of the universe. We see no light coming in from anywhere. But we often forget every night after the sun sets we have stars twinkling in the sky. All we need to do is look up and it will guide us on our way.

Tushar was sitting in his favourite bar, Sipping down a peg of scotch. Autumn was approaching. He could see the leaves shedding down from tree, beside the window he was sitting. The nest on the branch of the tree was missing the warmth of the leaves. So was Tushar of any human companionship.

It was his birthday in an hour. One more year of life, the beautiful life was about to end. And a new one was about to start. He had the same anxiety and eagerness, when he used to unwrap the gifts as a child. But today he was scared to see what was in there waiting for him.

He looked at his watch, five more minutes before he level’s up. Last year this was the exact same time when he got the most unforgettable text of his life from Shruti. full of all the love and affection which could be in this world wrapped in a single message.

“Happy birthday love. I texted you five minutes before since I wanted to be the first one wish you. May I get the chance to be wish you on every birthday till I die. Love you so much Bacha :* <3 .”

He remembered each and every word of that message. A smile came on his face. Memories which he had buried deep down in his heart started coming back.

“Sir! Last order. Its twelve, we are closing. “The waiter brought him back in the present.

“What? “he woke up from his dreams.

“Sir, we are closing, its twelve. Any last order?” waiter repeated himself.

“No, check please. Thanks.”Tushar said.

It’s a year and five minutes ahead, when he was happy last time. That was the last message he received from Shruti. He never got to know where exactly things went wrong. Just a mail from her saying he was wasting his time with her. She had someone else in her life. He never had chance to talk to her. The one last talk he deserved. One last closure.

He has been living in hell from past one year. Getting tormented from the memories he had of his failed love.

The best memories of our life are often framed in moonlight but also those memories makes you cry in moonlight.

He walked down the stairs. He needed a long walk to cherish the memories or cry out them in moonlight. He was not sure. 

“beep-beep” his phone alerted him that he has some birthday wishes in inbox. But he was not in mood but still decided to take a look. Eight messages and three miscall.

He thought of switching of his phone but a text came from an unknown number. He opened it and started reading.

“Hi,
Happy Birthday. Always be happy. J
Shruti”

 “Why she texted me after a year?” His hands were trembling.

“Please leave me alone. You know, I was waiting for you to contact me from past one year. I wanted to talk to you but i have nothing to say. Just one question why you did this to me? I loved you much. I deserved better.” He texted her back.

“It’s very complicated. I can’t explain you things. Please stay happy.” Shruti replied.

“Huh! Happy? How? I was living in hell from past one year, figuring out where things went wrong. What happened? I was dying every day inside.
I need answers. Please tell me the reason so that I could atleast die in peace.” Tushar asked Shruti.

“Ok! It was my friend Sunny’s birthday three months before we talked the last time. I was drunk and things went little wrong with sunny. I don’t know I started hanging out with him often. I was doing things just for fun but day after your birthday I found out that I am two months pregnant. I am so sorry. I wanted to tell you but I was afraid….” Shruti replied back. 

“What the hell are you talking? You cheated on me. And the whole time I was blaming myself.
Ahh! Why? I was so honest. I was planning my life with you and you. I feel pitty on myself.”

“I am sorry.Please forgive me if possible.” She replied.

“Atleast you could have told me. I would made things right.” I replied her.

“How? There was no way out. I had to end our relationship. Sorry” Shruti said.

“We could have married.” Tushar answered.

“I am married to sunny. Though its not what i imagined but I have four months son.” Shruti texted back the most terrifying and painful words he had ever heard.

 “I can’t forgive you. You ruined everything. Bye.” He pressed send and threw his phone on road. It broke into pieces like his heart.



Three years later…

“Sorry madam, but we need fathers name in there.” The Clerk said to Shruti pointing towards a blank space.

“But I am single Mom. My child doesn’t have a father. Please this a about my son's life.” Shruti pleaded the clerk.

“Are you kidding me? How can a baby be born without a father?” The clerk replied back smiling sarcastically.

“Only sharing his DNA does not make one a father. Now would you please tell me my Son will get admission or not.” Shruti’s voice showed her anger.

“Sorry Maam but to get admission DNS does count. You can try any other school in this city or any other city.” The clerk without looking at Shruti replied her.

“But…This school was my last hope.” Tears rolled down Shruti’s eyes. 

Shruti has been struggling to get admission for her son since two months . But every where it was same story, father’s Name. A small blank on a child’s admission form was enough to blank his whole life.

Shruti knew her one mistake four years ago has not only destroyed her life but also of her son. She leaned against the wall in clerk’s office, Slid down on the ground. Put her head into her lap and more tears.

“Maam, Please don’t make a scene here. We have other parents also coming.” The clerk asked her to go out.

“Please can’t you make an exception? It was my fault. Why my son has to pay for it. “She pleaded again for her son leaning against the wall.

“Please maam!! Leave or I have to call security.” There was rudeness this time in the clerk’s voice.

“Tushar, Tushar bhardwaj.” A voice echoed in the clerk’s office.

Shruti knew that voice. She leaned up against the wall.

“Tushar?” Shurti’s lips murmured by seeing Tushar after four years. She was surprised.

“And who are you sir?” Clerks asked Tushar.

“I am the one for who’s name you will fill in the blank column here.” Tushar pointed towards the Father’s name in the admission form.

“Ohh!!.. ok” the clerk was surprised.

“Why are you doing this?” Shruti came close to Tushar and whispered.

“I also don’t know” he replied her back smiling.

“You know that we can’t be together.” Shruti said in anger but whispering.

“I know, we can’t be together. But I have in living in hell for four years. I travelled, I went far. I thought I will forget you but I was not. I tried hating you. But then I realised I can’t do that. I can never hate you. “Tushar replied.

 “But why this? My child does not have a father” she replied.

“You remembered the last time we talked on my birthday. I said this would have been our baby, my baby. And you only said Sharing DNA does not make one a father.
I promise you I will be a good father, though we don’t share same blood line but we both love the same woman a lot.” Tuhsar said holding Shruti’s face in his both hands.

“I am sorry. But after what I have done with you I can’t do this anymore. Every time I will see you I will feel guilt.” Shruti was sobbing.

“See Shruti, after whatever happened I changed, I tried hating you but I was not able to. You are the one with whom I want to spend my life. I have left everything behind. I have moved very far to get closer to you. I want you in my life. It’s ok if you don’t want but atleast let me be the father of your child. Please. I beg.” Tushar said wiping Shruti’s tears.

“I have no words. I am sorry. I don’t know what I want but thank you. You are a good man. My son is very lucky to have father like you. “ Shruti said resting her head on tushar’s chest.

“Congratulations your son got admission. You can collect the textbooks on next Saturday. On back side of form is the address of the tailor who makes uniform for our school. Thank you and both of you can leave now. Next. “The clerk replied.

What occurred in past is past. Mistakes happen, we are humans, the species best known for its poor judgement and also for the its amazing quality, emotions. which differs us from every other species on this planet exhaling and inhaling oxygen. 

Sometimes you have to move far in life to get closer to someone. Either is distance or emotions you have to leave things behind and move.

 If you really want someone, get far to get closer. 

Another story of getting closer. Courtesy British airways. 
Link : http://bit.ly/1epU8Uj


2 comments:

  1. Shuddhashil here : Hey man awesome writing! For moments I lost workds, really great man! Keep it up

    ReplyDelete